In the last post I mixed whining about having the rebuild my PC after a virus attack with my angst about the employment situation.
I'm not one to share this kind of stuff ... but what the hell - I'm feeling pretty down and I just don't give a damn right now and maybe it will make me fell a bit better if I just write it down. Actually, I believe that I'll just be embarrassed later because I gave into a moment of weakness, but what the hell. Oh, and the frustration isn't just about me - I can deal with a lot of stuff - the pain comes from having seeing the pain I'm putting the HLDW through. She is SO supportive - but I know that she is scared - which breaks my fucking heart.
Here's the short version of the last 18 months:
1. Downsized from an investment bank in 10/2007.
2. Picked up a contract gig from January - May 2008.
3. Out of work June - August 2008.
4. Picked-up a couple of contracts from September - December 2008. The second contract was supposed to go perm but found out on 12/23 ( a week before I was supposed to start) that the position I was going to fill was frozen.
5. Haven't worked in 2009 - I've been submitted for some contract jobs (with no success) and had a promising interview last week that I'm waiting to hear back on.
I've been doing everything that I know how to do and have been following a lot of advice.
1. I've put together several resumes highlighting different aspects of my professional life.
2. I've networked like crazy - using my LinkedIn contacts, looking for inside sources to tap when I do get a lead, etc.
3. I write a mean cover letter.
4. I follow-up every lead like a pit bull.
I am a firm believer in the power of a positive mindset. In great economies people fail. In bad economies people prosper. I've been told by numerous people that I have "mad writing skillz" and wished that I knew away to make some money using them.
So, you were wondering what it is that I've done - the short answer is a lot of things - I've done the multi-national corp thing, the start-up thing, the contract/consulting thing ... here's the ol' resume, or C.V. for you Empire type folks (with contact info masked) - who knows, maybe someone will see this and know of an opportunity:
(personal info deleted)
Seasoned Program Manager with extensive technology, operations, and finance expertise.
- Dynamic leader skilled in building teams while taking a hands-on management approach to deliver results.
- Astute problem solver who quickly absorbs and acts on information to develop and implement effective solutions.
- Solid ability to conceptualize, develop and execute strategies that foster a culture of success.
- Clear communicator with polished interpersonal and negotiation skills.
- Proven record of building and leading teams to achieve organizational change and drive continuous quality improvement saving millions of dollars.
- Project and program management – PMI PMBOK, TQM.
- Software Development Lifecycle (SDLC), business analysis, JAD, wire frames, PRD, QA, AGILE, RUP, CMM and change management.
- Business process mapping, redesign and change management.
- Internal audit, establishing business controls, policies & procedures, SAS-70, SOX, PCI, COBIT.
- Establishing and leading PMO and professional services organizations.
- Network engineering and IT infrastructure management.
- Strategic planning, M&A integration and functional outsourcing.
- Supply chain optimization, consumer products manufacturing & logistics operations.
GLOBAL PAYMENTS INC – Atlanta, GA 2008
Contract Project Manager
Engaged to lead project to create a web portal to provide customer’s with secure access to invoices and other supporting documentation.
- Led stakeholders and matrix project team through Initiating and Planning project phases that identified solution choice and set project scheduling and resource requirements.
- Delivered project charter, product requirements document, project schedules and PERT diagrams.
- Engagement successfully concluded on 12.31.2008.
INCOMM – Atlanta, GA 2008
Contract Project Manager
Engaged to formalize all network policies in conjunction with the Payment Card Industry (PCI) certification initiative.
- Led effort to establish documented policies, processes and procedures required to obtain third-party Payment Card Industry certification.
- Scope included creating standards for firewall, router, server, encryption, change control, information security and vulnerability management.
- Incorporated NIST standards into security documentation.
- Engagement successfully concluded on 10.9.2008.
TSYS (TOTAL SYSTEMS SERVICES) LOYALTY – Atlanta, GA 2008
Contract Program Manager
Engaged to lead the Payment Card Industry (PCI) certification project.
- Led project to establish IT controls, processes and procedures required to obtain third-party Payment Card Industry certification.
- Project included upgrading existing applications through SDLC practices and introducing new applications seamlessly into existing infrastructure.
- Engagement successfully concluded with acquisition of PCI certification on 5.31.2008.
SUNTRUST ROBINSON HUMPHREY CAPITAL MARKETS – Atlanta, GA 2004-2007
Vice President, Technology Risk, 2005-2007
Retained process ownership and oversight of all technology risk activities for the Systems and Technology Group and additional project management responsibilities.
- Managed the IT control environment across all IT functions, including Program Development, Program Change, Computer Operations, and Access to Programs & Data to ensure compliance with internal and external audit regulatory requirements.
- Established a formal technology Project Management Office (PMO), including implementation of standard technology PMO methodology and installation of MS Project Server.
- Conduct IT audit activities; testing, remediation, SAS-70 reviews and updates.
- Led project team through SDLC to develop a web-based investment bank client services portal from conception through launch including; product requirements, technical design, QA and stake holder sign-off.
Contract Program Manager - Sarbanes-Oxley Controls Implementation Initiative, 2004-2005
Engaged to establish the control infrastructure for the Systems and Technology group utilizing the Control Objectives for Information and related Technology (COBIT) structure.
- Established IT controls environment across all IT functions; Program Development, Program Change, Computer Operations, Access to Programs & Data to meet internal and external SOX compliance requirements.
- Wrote and executed test plans of technology controls and led post-test remediation efforts of deficient controls to ensure future compliance to internal or external regulatory requirements.
NDCHEALTH – Atlanta, GA 2004
Contract Program Manger - PMO
Established the PMO required to conduct Sarbanes-Oxley 404 documentation, testing and remediation efforts across 14 business units.
- Led a cross-functional project team consisting of internal and external resources to establish the processes, procedures and project controls required for the SOX PMO. Work product included project plans, resource forecasts, standard reporting and internal & external communication tools.
- Oracle ICM environment.
INSOL & KAPPA CARD CORPORATION – Atlanta, GA 2001-2004
Vice President, Operations at Insol, 2002-2004
Led the turnaround of an IT Services Company.
- Succeeded in returning company to net profitability in FY 2003 by establishing essential business practices including strategic business plans, budgets, cash flow models and business forecasts.
- Established engineering, accounting and business processes, controls and policies to drive efficiencies and approved all statements of work and technical project designs.
- Established project management and service delivery processes and procedures.
- Directly managed service delivery by MCSE engineers and customer accounts.
Vice President, Operations, Finance & Administration at Kappa Card Corporation, 2001-2002
Built all operations of e-commerce start-up including service delivery, product development, proprietary software & technology, customer care & finance. Incubated at Insol.
- Designed web-based, secure, pre-paid card distribution, activation and tracking application that would function as the foundation for the company and led SDLC efforts.
- Developed project management and service delivery processes and procedures.
- Oversaw product management including card design and messaging.
- Wrote business plans, leading to the successful sourcing of investors and funding on favorable terms.
- Led the sourcing, evaluation and negotiation of strategic partnerships to deliver online content and to provide for specialized encryption and security expertise.
180COMMERCE INC – Atlanta, GA 2000-2001
Vice President, Operations
Built operations of software start-up including product development through SDLC; also created professional and production services, and PMO.
- Led SDLC of ERP application utilizing Java, XSL/XSLT, Oracle Database, EAI, and Workflow components which succeeded in bringing software to market in 120 days.
- Led JAD sessions, wrote product requirements documents, use cases, wire frames and test scripts.
- Established PMO and authored professional services delivery methodology.
- Led negotiations for core EAI middleware platform resulting in $1.5 million savings.
- Established critical business development relationships with Philips Electronics, Black & Decker, Motorola, and HP and responsible for initial customer acquisition (BellSouth)
OCÉ-USA, INC – Chicago, IL 1998-2000
Director, Strategic Accounts and Services
Established and led the cross-functional, mass-customization organization necessary to sustain growth.
- Reengineered the Customer Order Fulfillment process across the supply chain resulting in significant resource efficiencies allowing for business growth without the addition of supporting FTE’s.
- Delivered $2.0 million in savings by planning and leading internal process improvement initiatives.
- Established and led the Strategic Accounts and Services group.
- Led implementation of ISO-9001 standards in Customer Order Fulfillment to drive standardization of process and identify improvement opportunities.
- Led project team that successfully integrated an AS-400 based ERP financial/leasing module into existing system allowing successful migration of data from legacy systems.
- Planned, created and executed multiple project management engagements.
SUNBEAM CORPORATION – Boca Raton, FL 1995-1998
Project and Process Redesign Manager
Served as change agent driving process improvement, acquisition integration, cost reduction and internal controls across functional groups.
- Led multi-national process reengineering and reimplementation of JD Edwards ERP application that resulted in the consolidation of divisional IT structures and standardization across the corporate footprint.
- Planned, created, and executed projects for Purchasing, Accounts Payable, Marketing, Information Systems and International Logistics.
- Delivered over $20.0 million in savings by planning and leading process improvement initiatives.
- Led acquisitions integration for Mr. Coffee, Coleman, and EastPak.
Political Science, Duquesne University – Pittsburgh, PA